Always make new mistakes (reads the magnet that is on a board at my desk).

Becoming a great leader includes making mistakes.

As a young leader, I feel as though I live in a dichotomy of observing what it takes to be a genuine and successful leader while constantly being observed to see if I have what it takes to be one. I am in positions of watching decisions being made and decision making; learning and teaching; listening and speaking; witnessing mistakes and making mistakes myself.

Having the courage to stay in the game despite mistakes that are made by people around me or mistakes that I make is a huge lesson that I have learned in leadership. I am convinced that as long as a potential leader is afraid to fail, they will indeed fail every time. I am convinced that unless I approach leadership with a “whatever it takes” attitude (even if that includes miscalculations and misunderstandings from time to time) I will never become the leader that God is calling me to become.

This is a journey that we are on as leaders – from start to finish we must never stop growing and expanding. Successful leadership comes when we take the time to hear from others, learn from their mistakes and each of us as individuals give something back. 1 Peter 3 (MSG) says, “Bless -that’s your job, to bless. You’ll be a blessing and also get a blessing.”

Since I was a kid, I have been attending camps and conferences, learning what it takes to walk in relationship with God. Now, as a leader, those years mean even more because the things I do in my life –the way I live my life –is more than just about me. It is about God’s larger plan. That is why I love this time of year so much in the life of our church. Our annual Team Church Conference is right around the corner, and I am expecting to not only be refreshed and inspired myself, but also to fuel the cause of the local church into business leaders, church members, and church leaders who attend in a couple weeks.

I’m excited to be a part of hosting TC’08 because I am anticipating that this conference is going to reignite pastors and church members to build that which God loves so much – the local church. Even though the local church has never been perfect, I believe God is calling us to step up and take the challenge to advance the Kingdom of God on the planet today –even if it means making a few new mistakes along the way.


0 comments:

Post a Comment